Monday, April 19, 2010

Starting a circular shawl on 2 circular needles

My favourite way to start a circular shawl is to do a long tail cast on to one circular needle.  Then slip half of the stitches to another circular needle.  Then slide the stitches along the needles so they are in place to join and knit in the round.  Cat Bordhi has some great YouTube tutorials (Part 1 and Part 2) on knitting in the round on 2 circular needles. 

I thought I'd try taking photos as I cast on for my next EZ 100th Anniversary Shawl in case it might be useful for people who might be making a circular shawl for the first time.  There are lots of ways to do this, this is just one possibility.

First I use long tail cast on to cast on the 9 stitches onto the first circular (the nickel one).  Then I slip half of (in this case, 4 of the 9) stitches onto the second circular (the bamboo one).


Then,I slide the stitches to the other end of the 1st circular, and to the middle of the cable of the 2nd bamboo circular (watch Cat Bordhi's tutorials and practice using 2 circulars). In this position, I am ready to join and knit in the round.


Here, I am knitting the first stitch of the round.  Be careful not to pick up and knit with the tail by mistake!


In the next photo, I have knit across the 1st (nickel) circular, and am starting to knit the second half of the round on the 2nd (bamboo) circular.  When you knit the first stitch on the needle, tug gently to get good tension so there isn't a lot of extra slack between the needles.  You don't have to worry about this too much.  What I usually do is just knit the first stitch without worrying too much about the tension, then when I place my needle to knit the second stitch I tug on the yarn to gently tighten up the first stitch.


In the next photo, I have knit 1 round.  It will feel a bit wonky at this point, but hang in there, it will get much easier very soon! 


Here, I am partway through the first half of the second knit round.


And here, I am partway through the second half of the second knit round.  As soon as I knit that last stitch I will be ready to start my first increase round (increasing from 9 to 18 stitches).


Okay, I have finished half of the first increase round, by doing (k1 yo) across the needle.  Be careful with that last stitch, it is a yarn over and needs to be held with care as you switch to the second circular.


 In the next photo, I have slid the stitches along to start the second half of the increase round.  Notice how I am making sure I have not lost that yarn over at the end of the first circular. 


Here, I am finished 3 rounds after my increase round.  I have 18 stitches on my needles.  I am ready for my second increase round (increasing from 18 to 36 stitches).


Here I have just completed (k1, yo) all the way around, I have 36 stitches, and I am ready to knit the first half of the first knit round.  Once again, be careful not to lose the yarn over at the end of the previous needle.


Here, I have finished 8 rounds on 36 stitches, and I am ready for my third increase round (increasing from 36 to 72 stitches).  Once I have 72 stitches on my needles I can probably knit across the first circular, then keep using the first circular needle to knit across the second circular, so that all the stitches will now be on one needle. 


Finally, I have completed my third increase round, I have 72 stitches on my needle, and I have knit the entire next round with the first (nickel) circular needle because all 72 stitches fit around.  It will be a bit tight for a few rounds but will loosen up quickly.

3 comments:

  1. thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tutorial! I have bookmarked it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saving the little sanity I have left.

    ReplyDelete